Thursday, February 21, 2013

Seek and Ye Shall Find

E is not happy with me this week.  She really wants a Magic Eight Ball toy.  Yes, the same one we all had as kids that is the black plastic ball you ask a question to, shake it and watch the little window for the triangle die inside to give you an answer.  The cheap, worthless toy is still on the shelves in the toy aisle.  If she gets one more 100 on her spelling test I told her we could get one.  I also told her prayer is a more worthwhile exercise if she is seeking answers but to a six year old, the eight ball is really cool.

I get it.  I want to know the answers to life too.  Each day I seek to know more, learn more, make more of myself and my business.  Will I succeed?  That is a question I want the answer to most but I know only time will tell.  I am not a patient person so this is hard for me.  So I get up everyday and work to build something; what form it will ultimately take I do not know.

There are things I do know, hard, concrete details about life, politics, family, faith.  And some of those details are pretty cool and useful; others are hard to swallow but they are truths just the same.  It is the blind corners of life that keep me on my toes.  I do not use a magic eight ball but rather a lot of prayer and a lot of gut feelings that have not lead yet me astray.

I wish I could find the answers I seek by buying an $8 toy.

One day E will learn the answers to life she will seek (after the, "when will I loose my bottom teeth" questions pass)  are part of a priceless journey take by living and trusting one day at a time.   Until then, if the Magic Eight Ball toy makes her smile I will let her be a kid a little longer.


 


No comments: