Monday, December 3, 2012

A Little Walk and A Big Lesson

Leaving my office job has afforded me the time to walk E to school each morning.  We live about 5 blocks away and it is nice to take that short walk each morning with her six year old hand in mine.  Everyday there is a new topic to discuss.  Today's topic was "Do you believe in ghosts?".  I tried to skate it because if I said "yes" bedtime would be a nightmare tonight.  I almost said, "no" just to move on to the next subject but then she interjected that if ghosts weren't real then what about the Holy Ghost?  Now we had a discussion on our hands so I did what any good parent with only 2 blocks left on their walk would do: punt.  

"What do you think?" I asked. 


She replied, "I think God is real and so the Holy Ghost must be real so there has to be some ghosts floating around.  I just hope they are nice."  I smiled and squeezed her hand three times.  That is our secret sign for each other, three squeezes one for each word of I Love You.   


We arrived at the school's steps, I kissed her six year old head, let go of her little hand and asked her to be brave and take on her day.  She wrapped her arms around my waist and gave a very determined hug then ran up the steps.  I stopped for a moment and watched her walk inside the doors.  I then turned and started the lonely walk back.  


At that moment, a white mini van pulled up next to the school.  A mother with worry lines chiseled across her forehead, driving a van sounding like it is about to break down lovingly reached over to her son riding illegally in the front seat and placed the sign of the Cross over his body.  She sealed the blessing with a light kiss to his forehead and then he opened the door.  It all happened in the span of a minute but has left a lasting impression on me.  


If appearances count for anything, the mother I saw dropping off her son and I live in different worlds, at least for now.  But we are all in this together and we live each day with whatever faith and determination we have, using them to derive our strength for what ever may come our way.  I enjoyed the quiet walk home, empty handed but fulfilled.  




No comments: