Saturday, December 1, 2012

One of those days. Waffles, anyone?

"Through perseverance the snail reached the arc."

Today was one of those days.  One of those that I do not know if I want a "do over" or simply be thankful that it is almost over.  It was harsh and loud.  "I want waaaffffffffffllleees".... that is how it started at 6AM.

B's feet hit the floor and instantly Hunt and I wake up and wait for the running jump onto our bed.  B used to jump in and snuggle up but things have changed, he wakes up hungry.  In case we did not hear he first request he promptly repeats it over and over over again until we relent and get up to get his beloved waffles into the toaster.  I have started buying them at Costco because his appetite does not waiver, he wants waffles all day, every day.

Ella wakes soon after because the TV is too loud much like B's whining.  The steroids they pumped into my system when my water broke so early worked.  His lungs are just fine.

The whining and tears did not stop this morning and my stress level never lowered.  We fed off each other.  I actually loaded B up and took him to the doctor's office this morning to see if he had an ear infection.  The pediatricians checked B's ears and offered a sympathetic, "Sorry mom, they are clear and not the problem.  He is just 2."  Thanks.

The single token given at the end of the appointment that is usually traded in for a bouncy ball was instead used for an Avengers sticker.  Big mistake which meant an instant regret for the cranky 2 year old.  His next 20 minutes were filled with tears and crying over not getting the bouncy ball.  My time was spent turning up the radio while driving and hoping he would fall asleep and finally calling my mother.  Don't judge.  When at the end of one's rope a safe bet for anyone is to call mom.

Mom had no grand advice to give so I hung up and pulled in to a kid friendly restaurant.  My plan B was to i) stop tears, ii) stop pulling hair out (mine not his), iii)  tire him out until he collapses from exhaustion and sleeps most the afternoon.  This, of course, included an ice cream cone after lunch.  Two seconds after the cone was consumed he was asleep.  And he slept and slept and slept.  Three hours total of blissful napping.  Then he wakes up......

I won't go through play by play of the entire day but rest assured the latter half of the day matched the first.  Then it was birthday time for a preschool friend.  B and his daddy showered, dressed and I dropped them off at the party for fun.  E and I were enjoying some bad TV and frozen pizza when the phone rang.

It seems that dirty diapers can spoil a party.  I got a call to come pick them up B was stinking up the place.  I suggested he find a friend who was there with her daughter and get some wipes and a diaper.  Crisis solved.  The phone rang again..... it was too messy to handle so E and I loaded up and picked up Stinky and daddy.  He did stink, it was messy and the day just keeps getting better.

We hosed B down, and eventually, finally, got our babies in bed.  Day is done.

Tomorrow will begin with more waffles and end with more angelic, sleeping faces.  I will try and keep my calm and am sure I will lose it at some point.  I pray I am forgiven for those slips and the kid's therapy bills will not be too high.

Just as the snail reached the arc through perseverance, we will get through the terrible twos and sensitive six year old stages.  One waffle and drop of syrup at a time.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's blame it on the moon as M seems to have been on the same wavelength as B. For the record I did offer a diaper and wipes, but was told that B needed an outfit change as well. Here's to happier days!

Debbie