Saturday, April 10, 2010

Not Seing the Whole Picture

I held in my hands two 11x17 pieces of white paper that were covered in yellow bpaint.  The irregular and semi circled brush strokes were the artistic work of my three year old.  They were covered from edge to edge with bright yellow paint.    She was so proud of her work and I tried to be as enthusiatic as she deserved me to be but was very curious what the heck she was trying to paint.  I held them up facing her and asked, "what do you want me to see in these, baby girl?".

"Mom, it is part of the sun, silly", was her response.  Of course it was, of course, how could I possibly miss that!  A part of the sun....not THE sun.  Of course!  I just did not see the bigger picture and was trying to focus on the concrete not the abstract.  I also did not consider the perspective of a small child.  "It would take too much paper to paint the whole sun", then she ran off leaving me to digest her words and smile.  My baby girl is smart.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight, "that is one of my favorite scriptures.  We must concentrate on the bigger picture not rely on what is of this world, the concrete.   We must also remember the world is made up of perspectives and we all see things a bit different from our neighbors.  My baby girl is so smart!