Thursday, June 28, 2012

Some days you are a cricket...

I stepped on a few crickets today.  I was not trying to be cruel and was not blood thirsty but I live in Austin and the city is being invaded by the little creatures.  The Capitol is worst than most spots in the city and that is where I have been the past 2 days.  You cannot walk more than a few steps without encountering one.  My son hates bugs and is having a very difficult time adjusting to the new jumping visitors he encounters on sidewalks around the city.

As I heard the familiar crush of the cricket's exoskeleton under the toe of my designer heels and saw the yellowish guts spread out when pressure was applied I realized I have something in common with the little guys- some days you are the cricket and some days you are the shoe.  Lately, I have felt more like a cricket.  I am at a crossroads with my life/career and feel pressure from all sides.  Every working mother can identify with what I mean.  This morning I was in a Capitol office visiting with a good friend and a cricket made his presence known during the short visit.  My friend was totally distracted so I got up to step on the bug and get him out of the conversation.  I swear he danced around my shoe.  No matter what angle I tried he would narrowly escape and jump to the other side of my shoe.  My friend even commented on the little dance until ultimately my size 10 won over his will to live.

It was then that I recognized the similarity of my life to his insect world.  I spend my day jumping around trying to get where I want to go sometimes even dancing around issues to avoid the interaction I am dreading to have and ultimately I get crushed by the weight of my day.  It is only after I get home with my family and dip into the cold water of the neighborhood swimming pool that I come back to life and find the will to go on and make another go at it tomorrow.

I am working on finding my way to the grassy area where no shoe will crush me and I wish the same for the crickets; however, I will continue to crush any that come under my foot.   My son appreciates my efforts to get them out of his way.

No comments: