Sunday, December 27, 2009

Cheers!

“Cheers” is how we toasted over our imaginary tea. Bear, Baby Doll, Ella and I all enjoyed our muffins, animal crackers, blackberries and “tea”. The setting sun’s rays directly hit her blonde hair by way of the kitchen window. The shade was pulled up half way, its usual position. I have not moved the shade’s position much since we moved in nearly 3 years ago, more proof that I am not a great house keeper.

Oh, how I wanted to freeze that moment in time. Her smile, her cocked head, her giggle- the one that begins in the back of her throat and slowly travels to her lips- “Cheers mommy,” she offered and touched her cup to mine then to her other guests. It was perfect.

Ella is not much on names for her animals and dolls; she never has been.  Her ever faithful  teddy bear has always been just "Bear".  Her first Christmas we added "Big Puppy" because, you guessed it, he was big.  Her second Christmas we welcomed "New Puppy" as the newest stuffed animal in Ella's crew.  This Christmas Santa delivered Big Bear, the biggest one yet.... You get the picture.
Once Hunt and I urged her to name her baby doll.  The doll she carried under her arm everywhere, pretended to feed, dressed and redressed in various outfits deserved a name.  After pressing the subject, I asked the name of her doll and she replied, "Furniture".  Her beautiful baby doll is named Furniture.  Another doll she named "Window" followed so I quit asking.  I still do not ask but most days she asks where "Baby Doll" is in the house so I am assuming names are just not important to her. 

This bugs me but I realize in the big picture of life perhaps it is a good thing.  The Susie's, Sally's, Maggie's of the world may not automatically register as legit with Ella because she will not have a childhood association with them.  Who knows?  If we remain in Austin, it will be a gift for Ella to be open to people with different names because there are quite a few around us.  As of now, I am adding it up as one of E's unique qualities and moving on with actual issues in our lives.

This week will bring 2009 to an end and close out one heck of a decade.  It is a great time for reflection, celebration of successes and letting go of any losses.  It is also a great time to raise our glassses and say Cheers even to those with weird names. 

No comments: