Monday, December 21, 2009

Jingle Bells

My first Christmas this year has come and gone. The second round is approaching. Christmas is not a day; it is a season, a spirit, a feeling. Hunt’s family is much different than mine. One is not right and one wrong but they are different. Ella is getting to see two very different families celebrating a most important event. Next year she will see how our family celebrates the birth of Christ. In our house, with our traditions- whatever we choose them to be- it will be a great day in my life and hopefully a memorable one in our lives collectively.


Hunt and I have been together for nearly 11 years and have not yet experienced a Christmas morning in OUR house with OUR family and extend heartfelt invites for other loved ones to join US. I have enjoyed each of them but am so excited to have a house of our very own. I have such grand plans to decorate the chimney with our homemade stockings. The stairway will be wrapped with garland and our large, one hundred year old Oak will be lined with twinkling lights whose rhythm contrasted with the dark December sky will lull Ella and Baby Foster to sleep at night. Each of their windows, as do most all the windows in the house, has a view of that tree. I look at it and imagine how large its root system must be and how long they must travel in every direction; somewhat like a family, my family. My family, our Oak, our house, OUR Christmas…… I like the ring of that Jingle Bell!

No comments: