Thursday, December 17, 2009

It's Complicated

Recently, E and I were on our way home from work and preschool and I could tell her mood was flat.  She was not her talkative self so I asked what was wrong.  Her answer suprised me, "It's complicated Mom".

To be clear, Ella is 3 years old.  Her life is not complicated.  She goes to school where they paint, read books, go to Chapel, sing songs, play AND get two hours of nap time.  NOT COMPLICATED yet here she was down and troubled as she sat strapped in her car seat.

I looked back in the rear view mirror and asked what happened to make it so complicated.  Her response, "just stuff, Mom, just stuff" and then stared out the window.  She was serious but forgive me- it was funny!  Oh, the drama!

We went home, ate ice cream and the world instantly became a better place.  Whatever was on her mind that day did not leave a scar but gave me a great memory.  I never did find out what happened but that is okay.  I know we will have more like it as we grow up together.  I hope ice cream will always be the cure but I doubt it.  What is "complicated" at 3 years will seem like a cake walk at 5 years.  It is the "complications" that she may struggle with from 15 years on that keep me up at night. 

No comments: