Friday, March 30, 2012

Pinkie Swear

It's been said a man's word is his bond and multi million dollar deals are sealed on handshakes.  For me, when I give you a pinkie swear you can take my word to your grave.

It all started as a pact with E when she was too young to grasp the concept of a handshake and the importance of keeping a promise.  That is when I introduced he to the pinkie swear concept.  Now, years later, she knows that mommy may forget some of her smaller requests like, "Mommy, will you please get me some gum?".  But if she has asks me more than twice she will pull out the big guns aka the pinkie swear.  Without fail, E will look me in the eye and straight faced say the words.... "pinkie swear, Mommy".

Now, as a responsible mommy trying to raise a reasonable kid,  I do not automatically enjoin my pinkie into hers.  This is not a gesture I take lightly; this is serious business.  I know that if I break just one pinkie swear promise that I am done.  E's trust in me would be forever lost or at least it will feel that way to me. (And I wonder where E gets her flair for the dramatic...)  And, for the record, I have refused more than one pinkie swear in my lifetime.

Last night I learned of a friend's personal struggle.  She is in pain and it is one that I am uniquely familiar with, unfortunately.  Auto immune diseases suck.  She had no idea I could feel her pain but still she reached out to me.  We visited, drew strength from each other and had we not been surrounded by others we would have surely cried together too.  Our visit was one of the those moments that affirmed my belief in God.  She put it best when she described our friendship and connection as simply, "A God thing".  I wholeheartedly agree. 

At the end of our night I said my goodbyes and prepared to leave.  I found my friend and gave her the biggest hug I could and told her we would get through this tough time for her together.  I ended with the words, "I promise".  As we released ourselves from the hug she pulled back and plain faced stuck out her pinkie finger.  She looked me in the eyes and said, "Pinkie Swear?".  That was one pinkie I accepted without thought.

Now, E saw all of this go down.  I was hoping she would learn a bit about friendship but instead she got very confused.  One our way home I ended up explaining that pinkie swears can be universal and not just between mommies and their kids.  Her only response to me was, "But you are still gonna buy me gum, right?"

  

No comments: