Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Big City Lights

I may have lived in the city a little too long; or as one friend pointed out maybe just long enough to appreciate certain things.  I swerved for a squirrel this morning.  (My dad just fainted)  I actually swerved for a squirrel.  In the back of my mind, I said "Ohhhh watch out,  Sandy" as I steered away from the little rodent.  Sandy, of course, referencing the squirrel off Spongebob SquarePants.  I am a little embarrassed, a little proud and a little freaked out to be completely honest. 

Who is this city dweller that has taken over my body and mind?  Squirrels are rodents.  They are rat like animals that can cause havoc and lots of damage.  In the country, you shoot them for sport or to get them out of your attic.  In the city, apparently you swerve to save them. 

This comes one week after I had a "Toast to Our Tree" party.  My 100+ year old Post Oak tree died and we removed all of her limbs on Saturday morning.  It just did not seem right not to have a party in her honor and toast her for all her years of life that brought us shade, comfort, etc.  My neighbors loved it, I am pretty sure anyone outside of Austin thought I was nuts.  For the record, I did not literally hug the tree.

Austin has been my home since 1997.  I have lived here longer than anywhere else in my life so I think it is time to call it home.  My roots are still buried deep in the cotton fields of our family farm; that will not change, but my home is in Austin.  So when I swerve for squirrels or hug a tree or attend a party to celebrate some fictitious holiday created by Austin natives (i.e. Eyeore's birthday party) I think I can hold my head high.  Mom, don't worry when I hold it high I will also shake it because.... well, just because.

No comments: