Friday, May 4, 2012

Toasting My Tree (who wasn't supposed to die)

My beautiful 100+ year old tree has gone to the big forest in the sky.  I am saddened by her loss and a little ticked off about it too.  I am not asking "Why?" because I know the answer: the drought and we built a house around her.  She is a Post Oak and they are very touchy.  My husband says, "it is just like a woman".  We were told the new distribution of weight on her root system is something she must not like so she died.

That last part is a bit I am a little bitter about frankly.  We went to great expense and lengths to protect her during the building process.  We built our entire dream house around that tree.  We have over 40 windows in my home and the majority of them look out onto the tree.  She provides shade for my children's rooms and simply beautiful views for the rest of the house.  She was not supposed to die.

Now I have to buy window coverings for the second floor but we will not have to buy any firewood for a while so I guess it is trade off. Some of her wood will be donated to the local park to use in rebuilding a historic pool house.  Some of her will be used for stools around our fire pit.  And I plan to cut a thin slice of her off her us to keep in the house.  We will carve our initials in the wood along with the date as a reminder of the year the tree did not live up to her bargain.  She was not supposed to die.  

Tonight we are hosting a happy hour in our side yard to toast the tree before she is cut down tomorrow morning.  I am supplying some champagne for our neighborhood to toast her in a final goodbye.  Many neighbors have enjoyed her for years and years.  I am sure they blame us for her demise.  That is why I am also going to have tequila.  Tequila kills everything from brain cells to bitter feelings.  I myself will be drinking the tequila.  The tree was not supposed to die. 

No comments: