Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mia Harper

Mia Harper is in B's daycare class.  She, according to B with his limited vocabulary, is responsible for all his woes, aches, smiles, drama and bruises.  When I ask who did you sit by at lunch he quickly answers, "Mia Harper".  If I ask what happen to his arm when I notice a bruise or red mark, "Mia Harper hit me".  If I inquire about his snack, B answers, "Mia Harper ate it".  I think it is funny he doesn't just say "Mia" but it is ALWAYS "Mia Harper". 

One morning I pulled into the daycare's parking lot at the same time as the Harper family.  B went nuts when their car door opened.  "Mia Harper, Mia Harper, Mia Harper, mommmmyyyy".  I hurried and got B out of the car so he and Mia could walk into school together.  Of course, as B's mom I gave the little 2 year old a good once over.  She is a cute little girl with curly brown hair, cherubic cheeks that maintain a slight flush and a very confident walk even for a two year old.  Her mom is a petite woman with a warm smile and the same curly hair as her daughter. 

The four of us approached the door together.  B points at Mia and says "Mia Harper" while looking up at me as if to say, "that is her mommy. That is the girl that terrorizes me".  Mia looked at B and said, "Hi Boone Foster".  I stayed composed but man, that was a funny moment.  I gave her mom a grin and said, "So this is Mia Harper......"  I left a pause for dramatic effect and continued, "I have heard all about her."  Mia's mom without hesitation answered, "And I have heard of Boone....everyday".  So there it was. 

I cannot tell you what I mean by "it".  Maybe the realization that my B is not an angel.  Maybe it is that he has this whole little life I am not a part of during the day.  Maybe it is that the comment means B is a part of another family and friendship out of our family.  Perhaps it is the realization and confirmation that my baby boy it growing up.

Boone and Mia tussled over who walked in the classroom room first and then once in each claimed their own center.  These are two strong kids, two Alphas trying to fit in one classroom.  Daycare teachers are just not paid enough for what they do.

That afternoon I arrived to collect my precious, angel baby boy and found him in his socks (without his shoes).  We picked up his shoes and he sat for me to put them on when all the sudden Mia Harper is by my side.  "I do it for Boonie," she says.  And I watched as she slipped his shoes on and secured the Velcro  loosely.  "Thank you, Mia Harper," B said as he got up to go and then we left. 

It was so sweet and touching.  The two I thought terrorize each other are also friends and learning kindness.  Once home I was still smiling from what I witnessed when B took off his shoes.  He had a blister on his toe offering further proof my baby is growing up.  I asked B, "What happened?".  His response without hesitation, "Mia Harper did it.  Mia Harper hurt my toe".  And just like that all was well in the universe again. 

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

What a SWEET post!

I love how they use each other's last names. All. The. Time.

And I'm thankful that for the most part (except for maybe Atticus), they all have pretty easy last names to pronounce.

I like your blog... thanks for sharing your mommy card with me today!