Thursday, May 3, 2012

I am not a tree

I will soon turn 37.  While it is a privilege to grow old it is hard to stomach while it is happening.  37!  I am having trouble getting my mind around that number.  To add insult to injury my metabolism has up and left.  She left no goodbye note, did not give me 30 days warning prior to her departure.  She just left.  Rude!

And of course, this is coming at a time when my modeling adventures are really getting started.  I need my flat tummy and toned arms and know I am going to have to work it.  Now, I know that are a few haters out there.  Yes, I know I was blessed to have my high metabolism for so long.  I also know I am far from fat so spare me the compliments, sneers whatever you are sending my way.  This is life and it is mine and I will deal with it like I deal with everything else- one day at a time. 

Those close to me know I have a rule that I will listen to you whine, complain, etc once for as long as you want.  When we speak again I expect you to have taken one step to address your issue.  It does not have to be some life altering thing but one step.  A perfect saying to summarize this approach is "If you do not like where you are then move.  You are not a tree."  Simple, perfect yet sometimes hard as Hell to do. 

So I whined and complained for a couple of days and now have a plan of action.  I dug out my old smelly tennis shoes and started walking hills in my neighborhood.  The 30 minute walks I have added to my schedule give me a little peace and a heck of a work-out.  I have cooked for 3 nights in a row this week.  That is a big deal for me.  We are at the end of the month and my pantry is virtually empty but I was surprised what I can cook when I get a little creative in the kitchen.  Last night I baked the chocolate chip cookies that have been staring me down in my pantry.  I gave each family member one to enjoy and brought the rest to work.  And of course, at work I have given up elevators.  I march up and down six flights of stairs several times a day and feel it each and every time. 

My tummy is not flat yet and I loathe sit-ups so it may never be again but I have taken my step and it has not killed me.  I am not a tree. 

No comments: