Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Little House Without Sanity

Some may have thought I was tough to be on strict bedrest for nearly 6 weeks.  You did not realize I have been in training of mental toughness for about 3 years.  My cute, little green house on 10th Street, built in 1925, looks almost storybook-isque with the little fenced in side yard.  The spring flowers are planted and mulched so neatly thanks to my husband's hard work.  They meet you at the front of  the yard and guide you to our door.  If you were here you would notice some children's toys scattered around; not too many but just enough to let you know a young family lives here.  It is not polite to complain so I look for the silver linings.

What the exterior picture does not show is the 925 sq. ft that houses 4 bodies within its walls.  You would not see the 2 closets that measure about 2 ft wide and are meant to hold ALL of my clothes in addition to the hsband's and two kids.  We make due with an armoir, 3 chests and lots of crap in corners and on the floor.  We may be one of the few homes where we cannot hide what truly goes on in our house.  We cannot hide ANYTHING.  Surprise visits are not welcomed or enjoyed, in case you are curious.

The exterior also gives the illusion that our home sets flat on its foundation- it is funny how your eyes can play tricks on you.  As you make the 2 minute stroll that it takes to get from the front door to the back door (front room, butler pantry, kitchen) you will notice a slight decline.  If one would like to test it all they would need to do is spill a few drops of water and watch it roll down.  An orange or small child's ball that you will surely have to step on or around to get to the kitchen would also work.  Perhaps we can use the decline to teach the laws of gravity to our children.

My little girl's room is behind the kitchen.  It is a good size with great light and has its own climate control.  Someone with their infinite wisdom placed a window unit in that room and did not insulate it.  Before I taped a black trash bag over the window unit that is artfully held up with duct tape the window was an issue.  The room did serve as a great spot to thaw out on a 100 plus degree day that we have in Texas when you get that rare brain freeze after eating ice cream.  The heat distracts your mind.  In the cooler months my baby girl like to hide in the 10 plus quilts I lay on her bed.  It  is great fun.  Thank God she is hot blooded.

The bathroom really could be featured in a magazine, it is adorable with black an white tile, a claw foot tub and full oval shower curtain just like in the movies.  It has truly brought Hunt and I together.  Prior to kids we lived in a condo and each had our own bathroom.  We did not really visit in the morning because we had our own space and did not see eachother.  Today we converse all morning.  We are more afecionate because you cannot help but brush up against eachother while fighting for space in front of the antique, pedestal sink.  My favorite moments are when poltiely offer for the other to spit first while brushing our teeth so we do not hit heads.  That was a learned behavior.  Good times. 

In this time of recession and so many homeless I do not mean to sound ungrateful.  I have a roof over my head and my family is provided for daily.  We are blessed and oh so close to having sanity in the near future.  Yes, soon enough we will have some more room to move.  My real house is being built right next door.  Sheetrocking began on Monday and I cried I was so happy.  It will not huge overall but mommy's closet will be.  It is the size of a small bedroom and yes, people, I have earned it!

No comments: